Thursday, April 24, 2008

Grumblers, complainers, and faultfinders

This week has been full of some revelations in my own life. It started on Sunday. We decided to sleep in a little longer and then go to the 1130am service at our church, Ginghamsburg. We've been in a series called "A Faith that Works: See and Do". I've included a link below if anyone is interested in seeing the amazing message.

http://ginghamsburg.org/sermon/resources/2008_04_20_Video/207/

The band started off with a classic Michael Jackson song called "Man in the Mirror". I haven't heard this song in a very long time, but it's funny how you can remember the words, even after much time has passed. Our church is very "gospelly" if that is a word. We don't have hard rock like our old church. They put their own spin on the songs, and they usually use a full choir with a few lead singers. Amazing! There was so much power in the words they were saying. It was so enjoyable to watch them, but it had a double effect on my heart. I loved listening to them, but it made me question what I'm doing with my own life. It brought tears to my eyes because of the power of what they were saying. Some of the lyrics are below:

I'm gonna make a change, for once in my life
It's gonna feel real good, gonna make a difference
Gonna make it right...
As I, turn up the collar on my favorite winter coat
This wind is blowin' my mind
I see the kids in the street, with not enough to eat
Who am I, to be blind? Pretending not to see their needs
A summer's disregard, a broken bottle top
And a one man's soul
They follow each other on the wind ya' know
'Cause they got nowhere to go
That's why I want you to know

I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change

Our pastor, Mike Slaughter asked a question at the end of the sermon. As we all bowed our heads, he prayed for the Holy Spirit to fill the place, and for the Spirit to speak to each one of us, telling us what we should do. And I don't think when you pray for that it's some hokey experience. The Holy Spirit NEVER refuses a request like that. As I prayed that in my own heart, I felt the Spirit was telling me to "get more involved".
I believe I need to get more involved in my marriage, in my family, my relationships with friends, with the suffering of the world, not turning a blind eye to those things that God cares about, just because I would rather be doing something. I think it also means taking care of my health and making healthy decisions concerning eating and excercising.

In my times with the Lord this week, I've spent every night out on our balcony looking at the amazing sunsets setting in the west. Feeling the gentle breeze on my skin, and watching how beautiful the Lord ends each of his days. A painter couldn't paint a more beautiful picture.
I've been realizing, since my study on the "Beloved Disciple" by Beth Moore has been over, I'm struggling with what to read. And as a result I feel that I've been a little farther from the Lord than I had previously been in the past 10 weeks.
As I've been sitting on the balcony, I feel that the Lord has brought to my attention some things, in conjuction with the sermon Sunday, that I need to change. So I guess this is a bit of a confession time for me on here. Hope you bloggers don't mind.

"These men are grumblers and faultfinders;they follow their own evil desires; they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage." Jude 16

"Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the LORD, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the LORD burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp." Numbers 11:1

How much time do I spend grumbling, faultfinding and complaining?!?!?! In the past I've been around those people that complain and grumble all the time and it drives me crazy. I've always viewed them as annoying, but I've never looked at myself and seen the log in my eye. What does my grumbling and so forth do to God? What does he think? How does it sound to his ears? From Numbers 22:1 it obviously makes him very angry.

I've begun to realize that I've always been a faultfinder. I believe in finding justice for everyone. And when I think of that, I predominately think of the children that our church supports in Darfur, Sudan, and also many countries in Africa. I want to find who is at fault in most situations. But I've also been realizing that I try to put blame on everyone else in my everyday life for all of my problems. "I think God's telling me to let it go...it doesn't really matter."

So hopefully, with the Holy Spirit's help, I'll continue to look at the "(wo)man in the mirror". I'll start to cast blame on myself, and see what I'm NOT doing and then what I SHOULD be doing to help others. I want the world to change so badly, for others to see Christ, but it won't help if I don't start with myself.

No comments:

Google