Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Ginghamsburg New Path 5K Run 2008

As some of you may remember, on March 14, I posted a blog about Matt and I's decision to take on the challenge of running our first 5K! Just as a reminder to everyone, althought Matt played soccer aggressively in high school and also in college, and I played tennis during those same years, we are in NO WAY runners. I despised playing sports such as basketball where you were always running. Tennis was nice, short sprints. I DESPISE running!! Yeah, yeah, it always feels good after you've done it, but I've always lacked the desire and will power to make running a habit.

The weeks leading up to the big run, we didn't really "train" persay. We still ate out at restaurants, pigged out on chip and dip at home, and casually ran every 2-3 days. When I finally mapped out how far 3.1 miles actually was, I started to get a little fearful which in turn drove me to train consistently and not give up.

We ran the full two weeks before the race every other day. On the off days, we would hike the woods not far from our house, or ride our bikes. We started to be able to run farther and farther. About 5 days before the big run, I actually ran the full 3.1 miles without stopping. Success!!!

The Thursday before the race, we went out to the actual path around Ginghamsburg. Whew!!! That was rough. 2 major hills over 75, and one smaller hill in the middle. These weren't straight up hills like I would of liked, but graaaddduuuaaalll hills that seemed to never end.

Race day.......was a chilly one. I was the dummy that decided to wear shorts and my running jacket. It was about 45 degrees (which we were used to 70 degree weather). My little legs were bright red, and my upper body felt like it was going to explode from all the cold air filling my lungs, but I'm proud to say WE DID IT!

There were over 400 people that ran/walked the race with us. This was really such an amazing experience. New Path feeds the people in Miami and Montgomery country who have hit rough times in their life, suppling them with food, clothing, furniture and God's love. I was so excited to be a part of something that was good for my body, and also for those that need God's love the most.

For full race details with pictures you can go to the site below:

http://www.speedy-feet.com/

Matthew finished in place number 190 at 33 minutes and 58 seconds running an average of 10:57 a mile. He was 10 out of 14 in his age group.

I finished in place number 209 at 35 minutes and 31 seconds running an average of 11:27 a mile. I finished 16 out of 39 for my age group.

Even thought our numbers aren't the greatest or the best, I'm extremely proud of ourselves. We took on a task that we had never even attempted to try before, and ran with our whole hearts.

No comments:

Google