Thursday, May 1, 2008

though the cherry trees don't blossom

Matthew and I received some pretty disappointing news last Friday. I will leave it unnamed, but it was something that we had both hoped that would happen. Matt more than myself I think. We were so sure that this was something that God was going to allow to happen for us, that when we recieved the news, emotions flowed to the tune of "Where did we get this wrong?"
It pretty much stunned us the entire weekend. It really set us back a few, flew us against the wall, and swept our feet out from under us. What do we do now? Where do we go from here? It brought me to a place where I succombed to the temptation of questioning the character of God. But I soon came to realize the deception from the Enemy and knew that God's love for us didn't change because of this. If anything, he was holding us so close, realizing our dissappointment and sadness, encouraging us to press on.
This week I've been searching the Word for explainations of the concept of hope. Individuals throughout my life have said "don't get your hopes up". But what is the difference between "not getting your hopes up" and having your hope in the Lord? I'm starting to understand that having your hopes in situations is when you start to get your hopes up. Having hope in the Lord has nothing to do with that. They are two separate concepts.
Some things that the Lord has revealed to me this week, I've posted below. Hopefully they'll inspire all of you out there, and you'll come to a new understanding of what Jesus means when he says to keep your hope.

"Though the cherry trees don't blossom
and the strawberries don't ripen,
Though the apples are worm-eaten and the wheat fields stunted,
Though the sheep pens are sheepless and the cattle barns empty,
I'm singing joyful praise to GOD.
I'm turning cartwheels of joy to my Savior God.
Counting on GOD's Rule to prevail, I take heart and gain strength.
I run like a deer. I feel like I'm king of the mountain!"
~~Habakkuk 17-19 The Message

"Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
The days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day."
~Psalm 139:15-16 The Message

"God always does what he says, and is gracious in everything he does. God gives a hand to those down on their luck, gives a fresh start to those ready to quit."
~~Psalm 145:13-14 The Message

"Everything God does is right--the trademark on all his works is love."
~~Psalm 145:17

No comments:

Google