Wednesday, March 17, 2010

week 4 slump

It's already been the end of the 4th week and it's just now hitting me that I was in a workout slump. It's Wednesday, a couple of hours before I'm supposed to weight in for the following week, and already I'm feeling pretty lousy when looking at my workout chart. I didn't cheat for the fourth week in a row, but I don't feel very proud of the workouts and the workout times that I've put effort into this week. I had one "final workout" last evening that made me feel really good about myself but for the previous 6 days....things were pretty bad.

Last evening, after working 8 hours at my normal job, and then working 3 more at the library, I came home feeling very sluggish (because I didn't have my 4th meal on time) and because it was just a long day. I didn't want to do a workout video and I really didn't want to run, BUT I knew that if I didn't workout today my total break days were going to end up being a total of 3 when I promised that it would never go over 2. So Matt and I hit the pavement. We've been running 2.3 miles about every other day or so, so I felt particularly challenged to push myself since I slacked off the entire week. We decided to run the 5K path that is mapped out directly in front of our house by the city. (oh how convenient). We hit the stop watch at 9:00 p.m. exactly and started off. It was dark..I mean really dark. Every crossing and curb I was nervous that a car wouldn't see us and smack us right in the knees. We go to Wenger Road....went up the slight hill.....ran down Union on the LOOOONG bike path, by the ice cream /custard parlor that boasted "1 more day till opening season" (thinking ohh...I'd like to stop there right now) and then through the creepy cemetary, down National and onto Wolf. Once we hit Wolf we both sprinted...anything to keep those seconds from clicking. We ran our 5K together, finishing together at 30:50. The first time EVER. I didn't stop, I didn't get frustrated when Matthew ran in front of me way ahead, I didn't get frustrated when he stopped and I ran ahead without him, and I didn't get frustrated when he tried to talk with me. We ran the race together and we finished strong. This is the first time I've ever ran a 5K course, competition or not, without stopping. Plus I shaved 3 minutes off of my time. All I can say is I was mighty proud of myself.

I had a run in at work yesterday that made me think about the past week and my relationship with Christ. Since it's Lenten season and this is the first time I've ever taken this seriously-- my goal has been to learn and glean from Christ what he wants to teach me during this time. Coming up to the end of the week and after having this run in, I realized I hadn't prayed much about any lessons I needed to learn. I think subconsciously I thought God was finished teaching me. But I've realized that He desires for me to be disciplined in EVERY area of my life at all times. A successful life isn't successful unless you are aware at all moments.

I've realized that I need to watch my tongue on many different occasions. I've realized that the things I am choosing to do with my health are my business, and while I want to share in community with others, the workplace isn't the appropriate place to do so, even if they are my friends outside of work. God is teaching me to continually guard my heart, to analyze and look at my surroundings, what people are saying to me, and what I am saying to others. I'm realizing that I need to be intentional with setting up healthy boundaries and walls within the work place and also in my life outside of work. What I may or may not be doing that is working for me, may or may not be working for others. Continually guarding and balancing myself. I don't think I'll ever master this, but God is showing me that this is a skill that I definitely need to work on sharpening. The workplace isn't the best place to share a lot about yourself....I'm here to do a job, and to work at serving Jesus with my whole heart. Community will be found outside of work, maybe with the people I work with, maybe not.....







He is continually creating new life....which my flowers outside popping through the soil keep reminding me....plus Moey and his silly antics and overall cuteness remind me as well.

....now back to the pavement....

No comments:

Google