Monday, December 21, 2009

New York City Day 2

December 04, 2009
Today we went on the subway to Harlem. I had so many stereotypes of what I thought it would be. I think some of them were true--but then again I wasn't there very long....
We went with the Relief Bus. We were handing out soup--but then Kaitlyn and I went to talk to a man named Angel. I think he was homeless.

His mother died on Thanksgiving day.

Friday he was getting picked up to go to her funeral. My assumption was that he was on drugs at some point of his life becuase he repeated himself alot. (which turned out to be a totally WRONG assumption--to read his full story check out the Relief Bus on Facebook and find Angel's video) Kaitlyn prayed for him. He really liked Pepsi--so Brad gave him a Pepsi and the biggest smile borke out on his facem.

We also met Juan. We found out he had a history in prison for killing his brother for raping his mother and later stabbin two people. He is HIV+ and the sickness is slowly killing him. It was from a drug needle. I don't feel like he had much hope--just making it through each day--just trying to survive.

It makes me wonder if his knowing of having HIV is killin him faster than he would if he didn't know. Such debilitating thoughts can sometimes kill you faster than a disease can.....

"let's just go ahead and be who we're meant to be...without enviously or pridefully comparing ourselves to others...." Romans 12:5-6

No comments:

Google