Friday, May 21, 2010

significance

I've been struggling the last couple of weeks with the thought of : Is my life really making a difference in others lives? Is what I spend the majority of my time doing, really helping other people in any way? My entire life, I've always resorted back to this question. There are times when I can't deny the fact that I am making a difference in others lives. But then in my lower valleys of life, I always have to reevaluate what I'm actually doing on this big blue-green planet. Seriously, what am I doing??

I've been grappling with this question after something was said in front of me in passing. It was said by a person of leadership in my realm of influence and sent me into a tailspin on many different occasions when I let it get to me. It was said that certain people with "potential" were invited to take part in a group of intense discipleship. I remember sitting there thinking---"so what does this say about me?" I've rolled around this thought in my head of "do I even have potential?" When I honestly take a look of the situation and I talk things over with my Jesus, I realize that I probably wouldn't want to be involved in that type of situation to begin with. But there is something inside of me that craves to be included. Craves to be seen as someone that could change the world. Craves to have a life when it is all said and done that had "potential" and a calling. But am I that kind of person with those kind of qualities? One one particular down day, I was sitting with Moey in the backyard. He was frolicking around in the backyard in our tall grass that was up over his head. We had to let it grow because there were spring flowers growing in the midst of the tall stalks. I couldn't wait to have it mowed down because it reeked of snakes and wild animals. Moey in particular loved to run and romp in the grass. He came running up to me on the back steps and I saw something gray on the tiny hairs of his belly. I looked close and to my astonishment was a small, tiny, baby snail hanging on for dear life to his fur. I gently peeled him off, which Moey didn't even notice this snail was taking a hitchhiking ride on his under side. I gently put him on the concrete of the back steps and just stared in amazement at this little creature. ... ... ...

God created him...


He took notice of him...


and He cares for him...


So I may not be significant or have potential in some people's eyes....but I AM significant in my Creator's Eye. Praise Him!


"So be content with who you are, and don't put on airs. God's strong hand is on you; he'll promote you at the right time. Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you." 1 Peter 5:7

No comments:

Google