Wednesday, March 3, 2010

One week down, 5 more to go

I didn't think I would have good results...I was fearing that all of my hard work, the many pounds lifted, the sweat lost and the 100 ounces of water each day, the comfort foods denied--would all be a waste. BUT, I was wrong. Here is my reported scores after week 2. I walked away from that weigh in pretty proud of myself, but also knowing that the next 5 weeks would leave a tough road to be traveled.

I've learned two major things this past week with modifying what I have been eating, and also with denying the use of Facebook that I thought I would share with all of you out there in the blogosphere.

With facebook, I've had many instances where I have had such a strong craving to get online. I started to analyze those situations and try to get at the root of why I wanted to get online so badly. My studying revealed that the only reason why I wanted to get on facebook was because I wanted to see what others were doing. At first I didn't think this was so bad---I wanted to catch up with my friends, see how their lives were going and some of the things they were doing on the weekends. I asked myself--why do I care? Sure, I feel out of the loop with their events....but seriously why do I care what they are doing? And I quickly realized that the reason I care so much is--I wanted to compare what they were doing with what Matt and I were doing. How absurd!!! My time on facebook has boiled down to comparisons, comparisons that usually left me feeling pretty deflated and pretty boring. Definitely not something that God has for me and wants me to focus my heart upon day in and day out.

With eating I've noticed that I'm going back to the basics. Why do I eat in the first place? What is the point of eating certain foods and omitting others? Ultimately do I eat foods for pleasure or for nourishment? This is such a positive thing to think about as I am craving certain foods and learning to modify what I allow to be put into my body.

With this season of Lent, I've noticed as well the different changes that are occuring in my surroundings. With the season of spring approaching, I've tried to slow down a bit and notice what is happening in nature. Just walking in the backyard with Moey as he does his business, has allowed me to see the new life that is springing up all around me. Soon winter will be over, life will be sprouting, and I'll be a little bit lighter. YES!

No comments:

Google