Monday, May 26, 2008

tales of a beagle


Yesterday afternoon, Matthew and I went to my parents house for a good ol fashioned Memorial Day weenie roast. We hadn't been to my parents for a while, so it was nice to spent some time with them and also with the rest of the extended family. (We missed you Emily, Chip and Steph!) The best part of all, without trying to offend my family, was spending some time with my puppy CoCo. Since the last time we saw her, we could tell a big difference in her health.

For CoCo's entire life, she has always been a very social, happy, joyful and sometimes onry companion. She never wanted to be alone in a room by herself, but was never clingy. She could of ate an entire bag of dog food, but would still beg for your table scraps. And she always knew when you needed her the most. She would jump up on the couch you were sitting on, sit very close to you, lick your tears away before they feel to the ground, and then would throw her shoulder into your side. That was her way of being there for you.

She is still all of those characteristics and more, but you can see her slowly declining. Her back two legs are giving out on her going up and down stairs, and her hearing is completely gone. She fell pretty bad last evening trying to come down the deck stairs, only to spring tears to my eyes. The look of struggle in her eyes was enough to make you want to carry her everywhere you went. My hearstrings felt as if they were being plucked to the point of snapping. I hate to see her this way.


I spend some time last evening with her while she was snoozing on the couch cusion. I tried to get as close as possible, with the flash off on the camera. I would hide the camera behind my back and make a quick dash for a picture. Even thought I had the flash off, with her being so camera shy, if she sees the camera she wakes up fully and makes a dash, as quickly as she can behind the couch.

I know the ending for her is near. She has had a good, long life. This August she will be turning 15. It's hard to believe so much time has passed. I have so many wonderful memories with CoCo. She really has my heart....

No comments:

Google