Thursday, April 10, 2008

nuking vs. teapot


vs.

Last weekend, Matthew and I went to visit my Uncle Eric and Aunt Denise at there home in Upper Arlington. We had one particular task that had to be completed before we could have some fun. Dreadful taxes! The past three years, we've been hounded by the IRS after filing, for various reasons, so we have our fingers crossed for this year. Hopefully it will be a success with no bumps down the road.

Some of the things we did was ride our bikes from their home, downtown to OSU's campus. It was such a nice and sunny day that Saturday. They borrowed two bikes from their neighbors and we hit the trail. ((((One thing I need to express though, is we haven't rode since last November. It's just too much effort and muscle strength to get those bikes down the three floors of our apt building!!)))) So we jumped on the bikes, filed into a straight line, and road like the wind down to campus. (Hopped a couple of curbs, had a couple other bikers ding their bells at us...which means get out of the way...and rode and rode.) In the end we made it down to campus, printed some papers and then enjoyed a delicious Chinese meal at one of the many little restaurants on campus. We then made the long trip back to their house. I've found the ride back always seems so much longer.

The following day, after church we decided to go on another ride....needless to say, it wasn't as easy this time to get on the bikes. Our tooshies were a little sore. But in the end, the two day total in mileage, was 27 miles! Woo-hoo! This summer looks promising!! Hopefully we'll break some of our past records of single trip miles. Currently it is 22 miles for one ride. I'll let you know when we beat that....

....One thing I want to point out is I learned something cool over the weekend. You see, my aunt Denise is a huge tea drinker!! We sat down about three times that weekend and enjoyed morning tea, afternoon tea, and evening tea. One question that occurred to me was, "Is it better "tea" to have the teapot heat your water, or does it work just as well in the microwave?" Is the tea higher quality, or brewed to a crisper, more delicious taste if it is done in a teapot, or is it just the same as in the microwave? Does instant gratification work with this?, or am I cheating myself of better tea by waiting for the teapot to whistle?

While researching this question
(yeah I know, I know, I admit too that I'm a pretty big dork for even caring which is better)
I found the answer.

The only advantage of heating the water in a teapot versus heating in the microwave, is that the water remains heated for a longer amount of time if it is heated in a teapot instead of a microwave.

...I think I'll stick with the instant gratification of nuking it in the microwave...

No comments:

Google